Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Slice of Life March 3, 2009 
3 of 31
The ring, ring, ring of the phone jars my focus from the TV.  I struggle to get out from under the blanket and out of the recliner.   My movement causes Trace to leap to his feet in hopes that I have finally decided to give him his bedtime snack.

"Come on, Trace.  Get out of the way so I can get to the phone."  I stumble trying to get my feet free of the blanket while dancing my way around Trace.  Thoughts about why my crazy dog has to be a foot from me all the time fill my head.  I consider it a sign of affection and continue to work my way to the phone.  A long trip considering it's just six feet from the couch to the phone.

"Hello," I answer knowing immediately that it's JB.  My heart jumps just knowing that he's called to check in for the night.

"Hi, How was your day?"
"Good, how about you?  How's your training session going?  Did you and Mike finally make it to the hotel?

I listen as JB recounts his flight from Michigan to Tennessee and the need to wait while they de-iced the plane.  I get a question in here and there.  Next, I hear about his hassle to get a rental car.  

"Well, I'm glad you are happy with the training session.  What are your plans for tomorrow?"  

"Our training session starts at 8 am and then we'll just come back to the hotel and hangout."

"Good night, hon, I'll talk with you tomorrow."

"Sweet dreams, love ya."

"Good-bye."


2 comments:

  1. I love how such a simple conversation can be so important, so meaningful. Maybe Trace wanted in on the call, too? Or maybe he wants to stay close to you because he knows JB is away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trace was trained to be a seizure dog so his has a tendency to stick close to myself or JB if at all possible.

    I'm new at this blogging and tried to response to your other questions: let me try again.

    Monday's post is a scene from the short, fiction piece I'm trying to write for Book Four of the Units of Study. Fictional writing is hard for me.
    The spelling test were always awful for me because I have dyslexia (a hard word to spell for a non-speller). Mrs. Adams made me feel so stupid albeit she's one of the reasons I'm a teacher. Never do I want a student to feel the way I did.

    Thanks for your feedback.

    ReplyDelete