Monday, March 9, 2009

9 out of 31

When I walked into my office today there was a brown box sitting on my desk.  What a way to start the week?  Who doesn't love deliveries?  Upon closer examination I saw that it was from Amazon.  Even better.  I just recently ordered over 200 mentor texts for our K-2 teachers.  

I moved the box aside and got on with settling in for the day.  A few hours later, I noticed the box again.  Oh, I need to open that box.  I rummaged around in my desk drawer for the box cutter.  Just as I opened the lap and removed the packaging materials Katie walked in.

"Hey, what did you get? she asked peering into the box.

"Mentor text books for the lower elementary teachers."  I stepped back to my desk to return the box cutter to its rightful home.  I thought to myself, maybe next time it won't be so hard to locate if I put it back where it belongs.

"These are some great books," shared Katie as she flipped through the stack.

"There are some real classics in there, along with some I've never seen.  I need to find the individual order slips, so I can start sorting them."  

Both Katie and I stood there silent for a moment each holding one of the new books.  I love the aura of new books: the unbroken spine, the shiny, sleek cover and the smell of paper and ink.

 

1 comment:

  1. Mmm ... new book smell! I was enjoying that on Friday when I got my copy of the Empowering Women book that my chapter is in!

    I love getting Amazon boxes, love getting surprise book gifts from friends, love wandering the stacks in the book store and the library and discovering new things that are just perfect for what I want or need to be reading at the moment.

    ReplyDelete