Saturday, March 14, 2009

14 out of 31 SOL

"Let's try the new taco place," I said to Jeff as we pulled into town.

"That's a good idea.  I forgot they had opened up," answered Jeff.  He navigated his truck into the parking space outside the restaurant.  

We walked into the new taco joint.  "They have done a nice job decorating this place," I commented.  Jeff agreed.  We stood quietly reading over the menu display by the counter.  The four tables were full of patrons.  That's a good sign.  

"What are you going to have?"  asked Jeff.

"I think I'm going for the lite chicken burrito."

"I'm going to have the wet burrito."  stated Jeff.  We stepped  up to the counter to place our order.  

"Is this for here or to go?"

"We hope for here," I told her as I glanced around wondering if any of the other parties were about to finish.  

Next I heard Jeff, "Hello, Dale."  With a kind smile and a nod of the head Dale said hello.

I placed our order.  "Just have a seat and we'll bring it out to you." said the waitress.

"Thanks."

When I turned from the counter I saw that Dale and Jeff were engaged in a conversation.  Jeff was holding a small, glass bottle, so to speak.  It wasn't any bigger than my little finger.  I didn't think to much about it because Dale  is a neighbor and owns farmland, so I guessed they were discussing a soil sample or insect.  I was wrong.

As I step over to join the conversation Jeff handed me the little bottle.  I hesitated slightly.  I'm not much into studying soil samples or insects for that matter.  

"Look what Dale has," said Jeff. 

I carefully took the little bottle.

"That's gold.  The prospectors gave Dale some of the first gold they found in his gravel yard."

I was captivated.  "Turn it on its side and spread out the dirt and you'll be able to see the gold better," commented Dale.  His face was covered in pride.

"This came for your place?" I asked.

"Yep, they also found rubies, two small diamonds and amethyst," Dale added.  "The prospectors work must days."

We continued with some additional small talk, while waiting for our food.  Dale's pride just shone from his face.  We said good-bye.

Because I'm not sure of all the farmers in the area I asked Jeff where Dale lived. 

"Kel, his place is on the way to mom's.  It's where the gravel for our driveway came from, right off of Keefer Hwy."

"You mean to tell me the gravel in my driveway came from a gravel yard where they're prospecting for gold?" 

Jeff's simple answer, "Yep."

Just then the waitress brought our dinner and we began to enjoy the food from our new taco joint in town.   As we ate I thought to myself, maybe I need to start prospecting for gold right in my own driveway!


1 comment:

  1. Kelly,
    In response to your questions on my blog: TKTS is at the Marriott on Times Sq. you can get tickets to theater shows 1/2 price for the day of the show. Ellen's is @ 16 50 Broadway...wait staff are theater wanna be's and they entertain all through dinner. Maybe I'll see you there!

    ReplyDelete