Friday, March 13, 2009

13 of 31 SOL


Today's SOL:  Lingering with a book

I checked the time several times as I drove the last couple of miles to the parking ramp.  Was today's start time 8 or 8:30?  I mentally beat myself up for not checking my registration papers.

I parked, quickly walked through the ramp and crossed the street to enter the DeVos Place Conference Center.  I scanned the many signs in the main lobby for direction.  I noticed a cluster of people and took a chance.  While waiting in line I dug through my bag hoping to locate my conference pre-registration.  Found it!  Today's start time 8:30.  I wasn't late.  I hate being late.

I progressed through the line, received my name badge and found a seat in the main ballroom for the opening keynote speaker, Laure Robb.  After introductory remarks Laura began her keynote.

"Gone are the times of just spending time in the library."  Laura continued, " we no longer take the time to browse or savor a book.  Browsing through a library should be like savoring a good glass of wine."

Her remark has stayed with me all day.  Isn't that the truth?  For me I rush my students down to the library for our 30 minutes of alloted time and rush them through selecting a book, being sure it matches his/her ZPD.

What do I like the most about bookstores and libraries?  I like the time I spend browsing. Those times are like good wine.  You linger.  You savor.  You reflect about the contrasting flavors.  You study the pictures, charts, and captions.  You read sections of the text  You linger.

  


  

   

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to be able to truly savor a book this weekend! SAS

    ReplyDelete