Tuesday, March 17, 2009


17 out of 31  SOL

My Rant 
This is a simple slice.  I've been beat up today by the constant pressure to convince teachers, principals, and whoever else might be listening that WRITING is a subject and deserves to be TAUGHT EVERYDAY just like every other subject.  

I have heard every reason why the Units of Study won't work.  They don't have enough time.   They don't have the mentor text.  They don't have chart paper.   They don't, they don't, they don't.

Am I the only one who believes writing should be taught?  I feel like every time I attempt to meet their needs or explain the importance of writing instruction they just come back with another reason.  Why does life have to be so hard?  I'm burned out.  

I feel like one against a thousand and that I'm spinning my wheels.  ARRGH!!  Today was a pull your hair out kind of day and I am so thankful that I leave for NYC on Thursday.  I get to spend the next six days with other teachers who share my passion.  I'm looking forward to having my tank refilled.  

My slice today represents the frustration that seems to be taking over my mind, vision and passion.  Thanks for listening, I'm done now.  Off I go to pack for NYC and the coaching institute. 



1 comment:

  1. I'm cheering for you!!!
    I'm your students' future teacher, their college English 101 teacher. I need students who love to write, who have been taught the art of graceful and eloquent sentences merging into paragraphs of rich prose. This skill, whether they end up writing fiction, personal narrative or non-fiction, is so needed at my level.

    When a student shows up in my classroom, already fluent in writing (a language, if there ever was one) I send out a silent blessing to their K-12 teachers who took the time to teach well.

    Hang in there.
    Elizabeth
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete