Monday, March 16, 2009

16 out of 31 SOL

Part II 

My Most Valued Possession 

"Oh no," my mom said, "it's just that this saddle is out of our price range."  Turning her attention back to me, mom continued, "you had better get down off of there hon and put it back where you found it."

"Wait, let me take a look at the tag on that saddle," said the salesman.  He paused a moment, thinking deeply.  "I'm going to go double check the price of this saddle in the backroom.  Hold on just a minute.  I'll be right back."

Mom and I looked at each other with inquisitive faces and shrugged out shoulders.  Neither of us had any ideas what the salesman was up to.  I remember thinking, why does he need to check to price?  It's written right on the tag.

With a quivering chin I climbed down off the make-believe horse and returned the saddle to its place on the wall.  My mom put her arm around my shoulder as we started to walk to the door.

"We'll find one somewhere, sis, it just might have to be slightly used," consoled my mom. All I could do was nod my head in agreement.

Just as we were about to reach the front of the store the salesman came out of the backroom.  "Excuse me, but I looked this item number up in our records and this saddle was incorrectly priced.  It should have been marked $200 dollars, not $375."

My mom and I both looked at each other completely stunned.  I could not believe what had just happened.  It felt like a miracle, how could the price of a saddle just change?  What unbelievable good luck.

"Mom does this mean I can get the saddle?" 

"Well, sis, it does put it into the top of our price range, although it's still a lot of money."

"Please I begged.  I'll take good care of it," I pleaded.

"Well, it is why we came here."

A huge smile covered my face as I threw my arms around my mom and gave her a huge hug.  "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

"You're welcome sis."

Meanwhile over my shoulder my mom quietly mouthed the words thank you to the salesman.

I'll never forget that day.  One of my all time biggest dreams came true.  I owned my very own saddle.  I walked out of that store on cloud nine, grinning from ear-to-ear.  I was one proud, happy equestrian.

I still own that saddle and always will.  And, yes, I did take very good care of it.  Looking back I now know what a huge amount of money that was for my parents.  Life is full of sacrifices and my mom gave up something she wanted so my dreams could come true.  

1 comment: