Tuesday, March 31, 2009

31 out of 31 (I missed two so it should be 29 out of 31) SOL

We have come to the end.  I've been pondering this last SOL all day, thinking to myself; you've got to come up with something really cool for today's last Slice of Life.  Well, that didn't happen, but I did spend some time thinking about the journey.  Here's a rambling list of my rambling thoughts:

  • It's not easy to write EVERYDAY.  This makes me think; how do my students feel?
  • I have no idea when to use a colon or semi-colon.  This made me realize colons and semi-colons while I was reading.  Reading improves writing.  Now I'm on the hunt for those pesky punctuation marks.
  • Writing involves taking a risk.  This is important because life is about taking risks and one does not grow as a person unless they take risks.  
  • I revise immediately, almost sentence-by-sentence.  Might the reason for this be that it's difficult for me to express myself in writing.  (I just changed that sentence.)  I'd rather talk any day.
  • I'm a copy cat.  I see a style or an approach to a writing task and I mimic that example.  I need somewhere to start.  
  • My poor spelling abilities prevent me from writing more.  It's a HUGE frustration to have a thought and not be able to put it down on paper because I cannot spell a word I wanted to use.  This makes me think; if it's hard for me than how do my students feel?
  • I can't write on the fly.  It takes me several attempts before I feel ready to put my writing out there.  Writing is a painstakingly, time consuming task for me.
  • Writing is HARD and the teaching of writing is even HARDER.  
We've come to the end of our time together (so to speak).  It has been an incredible month. Thanks to everyone who commented on my slices and especially the encouragement about my parents' divorce.  You are all an amazing group and a true inspiration.  Thanks for taking this walk with me.  See ya on Tuesdays.  

3 comments:

  1. I am in awe of your dedication to writing each day. What a wonderful journey you've taken me on. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I figured out how to comment! Duh. What insight into the struggles of our students....just write, keep those pens moving...I've often felt stilted when writing on paper because it's slow and labor-intensive, yet there is something so aesthetically pleasing about beautiful handwriting in ink on the page. The teaching of writing is the teaching of thinking; of seeing; of recognizing value and significance in the world. (Possibly incorrect use of semi-colons....) - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could not have said it better than myself. I, too, found myself finding a copy of writing and trying to imitate it. Plus, it is hard to write every day...

    Glad to have gone on this journey with you!!!

    ReplyDelete