Thursday, March 19, 2009

19 out of 31 SOL

Here is a very rough draft of a quick write with my group leader Cory Gillette at the coaching institute at Columbia.  

I sat waiting while Kathy filled her van.  Bored of watching the traffic and people, I started snooping  around Kathy's van.  I quickly realized that Kathy's van was a disaster.  Wow, three young kids are tough on a vehicle.  It caught my eye.  A thick book was wedged down between the console and the seat.  What in the world I thought?  Leaning over I tugged at the corner of the book.  

At the same time Kathy pulled open the driver's door, "Hey, where did you find that book?  I've been looking for that book," Kathy quickly stated as she climbed into van.  

"It was wedge down in the seat.  Is it a good book?"  I asked.

"It is one of my favorites, The Art of Teaching Reading by Lucy Calkins."

And that it is when it began.  My journey of becoming a workshop teacher.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment