Saturday, March 28, 2009

28 out of 31 SOL
  
I love to shop!  Okay, I said it, plain and simple, I really love to shop.  To explain why might take too much time and I'm not sure I'm ready to get to the root of that problem.  Well, I don't see it as a problem, but that whole topic is a different conversation.

Anyways, I have a few things that I seem to buy often.  Yes, the obvious shoes (five new pairs in NYC alone, don't roll your eyes, they're New York City shoes) and clothes, but two other items seem to linger at the top of the list: books and pens.

Books for the obvious reason; I'm a reader, writer (kind of) and an elementary teacher.  But why pens?  I'm using the word pens here very loosely.  The category includes: ballpoint, gel, markers, highlighters, really any kind of writing instrument.  

Today I had to return a few items I'd purchased at the office supply store and walked out with over $14.oo worth of new writing instruments.  I justified part of the purchase because it was a two-for-the-price-of-one pack and the pack was on clearance.  What a deal!  

I convinced myself that I needed new pens because I'm acting as a copy editor for one of the sixth grade teachers, so I felt if I had new pens to use this weekend when I was editing it would make the job more enjoyable.  I compare it to ironing; if you have a new iron to use or a new can of finishing spray it makes the task more enjoyable.  It's all about self-gratification, is it not?  

Did I really need new pens? Of course not, but like I said it's all about making life's tasks enjoyable.  So, today I proudly admit I have a problem; I buy way to many pens.  Pens are a writer's media, right?  



3 comments:

  1. That is one of the best sensations around. Tearing open a new package of pens and placing one onto pristine paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey--I'm a total stationary store freak. I totally get this impulse. I bought a Mont Blanc fountain pen in Paris, a score of cute little gel pens in Japan, fountain pens for all my children as souvenirs from another trip (see--my largesse even runs to other people getting pens). I have to admit I also spent close to 2 hours in that Japanese store, selecting and unselecting cards, notes, notepads, pencils, pens. I was in heaven!

    Great post--
    Elizabeth
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete