Monday, March 26, 2012

#26 SOL Parts of a non-ficiton reading lesson






I'm working on another non-fiction reading lesson and in the connection I need to share some narrative nonfiction text about my weekend. So, here it is.

Over the weekend my husband and I went out "on a date" and we had dinner and we also worked around the house and Sunday we went to visit some friends and we went to bed early to get a good night's sleep before a long week ....

So, the lesson connection continues by eliciting feedback from the class. Was the text I wrote narrative nonfiction? Students should share the missing elements: meaning and coherence. Was that a true story, a bit of narrative nonfiction?

What was missing? Hopefully the students notice that there are no facts, no information. So, I share another story deliberately studding the text with irrelevant facts.

Three days ago, at 7:10 my husband and I went out "on a date" and we had dinner at Jerry's and, then, we went to see a performance at the Portland Playhouse which was 1 hour and 45 minutes long and on Saturday we also worked around the house doing four loads of laundry and emptying the dishwasher. Sunday we went to visit some friends wearing blue jeans and t-shirts. We went to bed at 9:15 pm to get a good night's sleep before a long week ....

Am I on my way toward "writing" a good narrative nonfiction text about my weekend?

Hopefully the class realizes that I have NOT. The connection continues with, What was wrong? I told one thing we did, then the next, then the next and I included lots of specific information, facts, and times.

Hopefully the students realize there is not topic and that it doesn't really say anything.
Exactly, I didn't really say anything.

Again, I'm using the Navigating Nonfiction in Narrative and Hybrid Text by Lucy Calkins and Kathleen Tolan session X Seeking Underlying Ideas in Narrative Nonfiction

No comments:

Post a Comment